Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Box #1

We got our first box of the season this past Thursday. The contents (next week, I'll remember to take a photo of the raw crops)?
  • sunchokes ... what?
  • ramps ... what?
  • sorrel ... what?!
  • overwintered spinach ... ok, I know what spinach is but overwintered?
  • overwintered parsnips
  • rhubarb ... yes! something I'm familiar with
  • burdock .... huh
  • chives ... yum!
  • black radish ... black?
  • decorative willow ... nice!
We did some research and found some promising ideas.

First off, the spinach and parsnips (Friday). This was easy. We used some spinach in eggs benedict and roasted the parsnips to go with steak. Let me tell you - roasted parsnips are to die for! I love parsnips but always forget about them.

Next up, the sorrel (Sunday). A quick story - when Mike was cleaning off the produce, he ripped of a piece of something green and said, "here, taste this!" and so I did. I expected something like the taste of spinach. But instead it was if I took a bite of lemon. And that is sorrel. Tasty stuff if you know that it is lemony before taking a bite. Mike found a bunch of sorrel recipes on this site and I decided on Quiche with Sorrel and Goat Cheese. I figure, anything with goat cheese has to taste pretty darn good.

Sorrel and Goat Cheese Quiche
A Luna Circle Farm original recipe

2-3 cups sorrel, coarsely chopped
a few scallions, chopped
3-4 ounces goat cheese (chevre)
3 eggs
1½ cups milk
¼ teaspoon salt
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread goat cheese (or any strong flavored cheese) in the bottom of a piecrust. Cover with chopped sorrel and scallions. Beat eggs, salt and milk together. Pour over greens. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden browns.

I followed the recipe as is and it was delicious! I was a wee disappointed with myself because I didn't make the crust. But cooking with a toddler around calls for shortcuts.


To come, ramp risotto and quinoa with sunchoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment